This is the last week to register for Depaul University Winter Forum!
Registration is required; register today at https://goo.gl/forms/gMviJk86LRSXQoYx1. 2 CPDUs are available to those who provide their IEIN at time of registration.
2018 Winter Education Forum:
What is a “Sanctuary School?” How can educators create schools that are safe for all students? Schools that protect, nurture and provide opportunities for students and their community?
Current immigration policies have resulted in increasing uncertainty and fear in many school communities. High levels of student stress have also been noted as a result of school- based policing and regressive disciplinary policies. Our forum will address how these policies impact students, their families and schools and explore how educators are responding to meet the demands created by these policies.
Panelists will discuss:
- The impact of immigration policies and school based policing on students
- Ideas for developing sanctuary schools
- know your rights workshops for educators, students and parents
- Youth organizing
- Resources and services for students dealing with trauma
- Policy recommendations to increase safety and opportunity in schools
- Marcelo Ferrer, Logan Square Neighborhood Association
- Oliva Abrecht, Brighton Park Neighborhood Council
- Rebecca Martinez, Chicago Teachers Union
- Michelle Mbekeani-Wiley, Shriver National Center on Poverty Law
- Dr. Sonia Soltero will moderate the forum and offer introductory remarks.
For questions and more information, please contact Dr. Diane Horwitz at email@example.com.
A few resources for your interest: